Hi everyone! Apologies for being away for so long, I have been (and still am) injured with bursitis in my left hip. It is getting stronger now and I've continued to run through it but been doing very few miles.
In the last 2 weeks it has been much better, I changed my asics training plan so it plans 3 runs per week instead of 4. Allowing my hip to rest the day after a run really helps me be able to keep my running regular even if I lower the distance.
I've reduced my pace from 9'30 per mile to around the 10'30 mark which also helps a great deal and I find that if I lengthen my stride it doesn't hurt as much when I'm on the move. I'm trying to incorporate a 15 - 20 minute stretching and Pilates session after a run to help my hip strengthen which seems to help though I'm really not a fan of either!
My motivation sometimes goes away which I'm sure happens to everyone. When it does I try to do something positive with myself such as a strength session or a run with my charity vest - after all MacMillan are the reason I'm doing the marathon in the first place.
I try to incorporate lots of fruit & vegetables in my diet as well as pasta, rice and sweet potatoes. I know carb loading isn't necessary for short distance running but they have always been part of my diet. Since I got an amazing blender for Christmas I've enjoyed lots of nice all fruit smoothies which give me massive energy for a morning run without having to eat an early breakfast - I'm not an early breakfast person, I find it very hard to eat first thing.
I managed 6.3 miles today, took it slowly and thought I had found a nice flat route - how wrong I was! I hate to say it but I think it feels more satisfying knowing you've managed several big hills on a route than a fast run around a very flat route. Today I can say I went slow but managed those killer hills!
Tomorrow is a rest day but I'm planning a strength session instead of a run and Tuesday is a 5km run.
If you've ever had bursitis in the hip or have any advice / comments about running a marathon then please feel free to comment below and get yourself involved!
Thank you for taking time to read this blog, come back soon for further updates on my progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment