I remember when I did my first sponsor run, it was a 4 mile fun run through a nature park. I signed up on the day and off I went. I wanted to do my first Great North Run (half marathon) the following year so I thought a 4 mile would be a good start. I totally overestimated my fitness level and had to jog / walk it - I would say I walked at least 2.5 miles of it. I left the race feeling very frustrated and stupid to think that I could run it.
I was extremely sore the following day and I let that put me off running for a while. When I started to train (I use that term loosely) for the GNR I never did more than 6 miles (jog -/ walk) and I sub consciously put up mental barriers after I had gone 1km - I could run 1k then I would stop and walk. I couldn't control my breathing properly because I was stressing out about it which made me feel like my chest was going to explode.
I'm better at it now, I don't track distance or time whilst I'm running - I used to stare at my Nike tracker which is what helped me put up my barriers. I strap my tracker to my arm and just run.
It has taken me almost 3 years to form a proper habit with running, I still wouldn't class myself as an expert, far from it but I can now run 14 miles without walking, without feeling like my chest is going to explode and I've even signed up to a full marathon - how's that for confidence (or cocky as it is formally known!). I'm not the fastest but since joining a club my speed is improving slowly.
It takes a long time to form an exercise habit so don't give up when you lose interest - try something new. If you're bored of the gym - go outside and try a different kind of workout. If you give up you are bound to regret it later on when you try it all over again, just think, you could be 100% if you keep going! If you feel like it isn't working then something has to change. I used to believe that if I ate properly and exercised for a week that it would become part of my routine but it didn't.
I'm working everyday on my fitness and health and I'm improving and a good rate but it has taken me a while to realise that It takes 100% commitment to both diet and exercise.
I hope you can take something positive from this edition. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
If you want more information about my fitness business then check out my website www.bx3pt.moonfruit.com, find me on Facebook by searching Bx3 Personal Training or follow me on twitter @Bx3_PT.


No comments:
Post a Comment