Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Marathon training blog

Hi guys.

I ran the Edinburgh Marathon Festival Half Marathon on May 26th for Macmillan Cancer Care. I felt so good after doing it! Macmillan were incredible in terms of support for all of their runners in the lead up to the race, at different cheering points during the race and after the race In the finishers tent. I feel honoured that I got to help them by raising money and being part of Team Macmillan.

I have entered the FULL EMF Marathon for 2014 and I am keeping a training blog so you can see how I train, help me along if you've had experience of a marathon or just watch me suffering as the weeks go on! ;-).

This is my first Marathon - hopefully first of many but we will see.

Quick catch up from the end of my EMF Half to now - I have a shin splint which is very painful to run on at first but I am doing as I'm told (which is a first) and resting properly I between runs. The Monday after the half (27th of May) I had a lot of pain in the shin and hips which I put down to usual half marathon pain, for the first time in 2 years of running I got blisters under my toe nails which made them rise away from the nail bed - I thought they were going to fall off which is a common runners problem (or so I've been told!!) but they have calmed down again now. They still seem a little unsure of whether they are staying or going but I have no pain!

I did a steady 10km or 6.2 mile jog on Monday night, rested on Tuesday and did a 5km walk / run with a PT client on Wednesday.

I went down to Elswich Harriers - (my local running club) on Thursday night to try it out and managed 4.88 miles of running which I was delighted about and I followed that up by jogging 1.70 miles on Friday.

I had a lovely rest over the weekend and only went walking with my dog which felt lovely, especially in the sun down by the river.

So far this week I did 5 miles yesterday (3.30 miles jogging and the rest walking) which was a nice steady one to help me get back into my routine after a lazy weekend.

Today (Tuesday 4th of June) I have been to the gym, 5km on the bike and 2km on the treadmill. I have a 5km down by the river later on and another Harriers session after that - I have no idea what we will be doing but im sure it will be good fun, fingers crossed!!

Come back to read more updates, I will be posting my Harriers session and more tomorrow when I get up and see if I can still jog with no pain - probably not but hey, that's running!

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment